Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 1: Sausage and Peppers Frittata

Today marks the beginning of my Dish a Day challenge.  I decided to start off nice and simple with a sausage and peppers frittata.  Since I have no idea how familiar people reading this are going to be with cooking techniques and recipes, I figure I should add in at least some explanation.  A frittata is very similar to a standard omelet.  The main difference is that instead of starting the eggs, then mixing in other things, you start by cooking some shredded potatoes (hash browns usually) along with whatever else you want to put in the mix, and then add in the eggs.  Finally you top the whole thing with some cheese and then put it in the oven to brown the top.  It is a really simple and easy way to make some really tasty dishes, especially if you have leftovers to just toss in.  The most important thing is to remember that all your ingredients need to be fully cooked before you add in the eggs, whether that means they were cooked yesterday or before you start, or (like the potatoes on the bottom) they had time to cook through while you wait doesn't really matter.

For my particular creation I had some sauteed onions and peppers from last night's Fourth of July cook out.  I also had a few amazing basil, garlic and sun-dried tomato sausages left over.  I tossed in some freshly grated potatoes, seasoned those up and let them soften before adding in the onions, peppers and sausages.  The eggs went down on top of that, and after I had swirled them around for an even coating and let them begin to set a bit I tossed some spinach and freshly chopped tomatoes down on top, coated the whole thing in some freshly grated cheddar and an Italian cheese blend and tossed it in the oven to finish up.  When I pulled the whole thing out it looked a little something like this:

The end result was a tasty, and simple meal that was a good way to start my dish a day challenge.  Now for an evening of gaming, reddit and videos of people gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment